Last week, President Trump hosted French President Emmanuel Macron for the first state dinner of the Trump presidency.
Instructors, click the link below to download this week’s lecture for use in your classroom. The deck contains a writing prompt and a debate question as well as other assessment questions.
“First Trump State Dinner Brings Billionaires And Administration Officials”
“The White House state dinner: Diplomacy through flowers, food and fun”
“Trump shuns Democrats and media with Macron state dinner”
“Trump and Macron: Two loud presidents, in different ways”
“Candidate Trump had plenty of state dinner suggestions. President Trump hasn’t taken them.”
“Why The Trumps’ First State Dinner Is Significant”
“Macron attacks nationalism in speech to US Congress”
- Writing: Why do American presidents host state dinners?
- Debate: State dinners are more about flash and formality than substance.
- Poll: How many of you would welcome an invitation to a state dinner? Which visiting head of state would you be most interested in meeting at a state dinner?
- Short Answer: What issues were discussed during President Donald Trump’s first state dinner and visit from President Emmanuel Macron of France?
Current events quiz:
1) The first state dinner was held during the presidency of Jimmy Carter. (T/F)
2) President Emmanuel Macron of France was the first head of state hosted by President Donald Trump for a state dinner. (T/F)
3) Unlike other state visits, President Macron did not address Congress. (T/F)
4) The first head of state to arrive in the United States for a state dinner was ______.
- Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom
- King David Kalakua of the Kingdom of Hawai’i
- President Mohammad Ayub Khan of Pakistan
- President Nelson Mandela of South Africa
5) In just over six years as President, Lyndon Johnson held ______ state dinners.
Enjoy using Lecture Spark? Answer this 5-question survey to help us innovate!