The United States reached unprecedented numbers of COVID-19 cases just days before millions of Americans are expected to head to the polls for Election Day. The figures were a grim reminder of the difficulty facing the United States as it enters the winter months. Public health experts warned that the current outbreak was affecting a wider swath of the country including important presidential swing states.
Instructors, click the link below to download this week’s lecture for use in your classroom. The deck contains a writing prompt and a debate question as well as other assessment questions.
“U.S. reports record 99,321 new coronavirus cases as scientists warn latest surge just beginning”
“U.S. reports nearly 100,000 new cases in one day as infections surge in battleground states”
“El Paso surpasses single-day record for COVID-19 cases”
“As COVID-19 cases surge, the country’s economic recovery is losing steam”
“US coronavirus cases break global daily record, and experts warn it will only get worse”
“Coronavirus updates: COVID restrictions and lockdowns rise in US and Europe, as Trump’s rallies are blamed for cases”
“U.S. Adds Almost 100,000 New Coronavirus Cases In 1 Day As Colder Weather Sets In”
“Hospitals overwhelmed: Exhausted staffs, surging COVID-19 cases push nation’s limits”
- Writing: Describe the historic role of agencies like the CDC and the FDA in promoting public health. What challenges have made their task more difficult in combatting the pandemic?
- Debate: Should the country institute a lockdown like some European countries have done to control the spread of the pandemic?
- Poll: Should in-person campaign events have been cancelled for both candidates during the pandemic?
- Short Answer: What can government do, short of a vaccine, to ensure that the current spike in COVID cases is short lived?
Current events quiz:
1) The current increase in COVID cases has mostly affected which area?
a. Eastern states
b. Southern states
c. Western states
d. Entire country
2) The current spike in COVID cases has put a renewed burden on _______.
b. hardware stores
d. public transportation
3) All the following are true EXCEPT:
a. The number of cases in the US has surpassed nine million.
b. More than half of all COVID-19 cases in the U.S. are from White, Non-Hispanic Americans
c. One out of every five COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. are from Black, Non-Hispanic Americans
d. Hispanic Americans are more likely to get COVID-19 than Black, Non-Hispanic Americans
4) Public health experts believe that cases will begin to decrease as the weather gets colder. (T/F)
5) More than forty states are currently experiencing increases in COVID positivity rates. (T/F)
6) Over 9 million people in the U.S. have died as a result of COVID-19. (T/F)
Enjoy using Lecture Spark? Answer this 5-question survey to help us innovate!
Featured Image Credit: Own work–