LA Issues New Limits as COVID Cases Surge
Los Angeles County officials announced a new stay-at-home order as COVID-19 cases exceeded a 4,500 daily average over five days. Though not as sweeping as previous lockdowns, the three-week “Safer at Home” order is the latest effort by local officials to contain a surging virus in Southern California.
The order was bad timing for many pandemic weary locals who now face new restrictions on social gatherings during the holiday season. Religious services and protests are exempted from the limits on social gatherings.
Instructors, click the link below to download this week’s lecture for use in your classroom. The deck contains a writing prompt and a debate question as well as other assessment questions.
Download the PowerPoint Lecture Spark for "LA Issues New Limits as COVID Cases Surge"
“Los Angeles issues stay-home order as coronavirus surges”
“Los Angeles County issues new stay-at-home order and bans all gatherings as Covid-19 cases surge”
“Los Angeles County to impose new COVID-19 restrictions on social gatherings”
“L.A. County adopts further restrictions on public and private gatherings to slow spread of virus”
“L.A. County health officials announce 3-week stay-at-home order banning most gatherings set to take effect on Monday”
“LA County COVID-19 Cases Reach One of the Pandemic’s Highest Single-Day Totals”
“LA County announces stricter stay-at-home order to come Monday as coronavirus case rate climbs”
“L.A. County’s holiday COVID-19 restrictions face skepticism from a weary public. Will people obey?”
- Writing: Describe the relationship between the public health sector and private business owners. What balance did local officials in Los Angeles try to achieve with the latest stay home order?
- Debate: The newest stay home order does not go far enough to contain the COVID-19 virus and should be expanded to a lockdown.
- Poll: Should people who have already recovered from the COVID-19 virus be exempted from the stay home order?
- Short Answer: What can local governments do to ensure responsible behavior in advance of an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine?
Current events quiz:
1) Local officials in Los Angeles County set the number of tolerable COVID-19 cases at ______, averaged over five days, before new stay home restrictions would be considered.
2) The announced ‘Safer at Home’ order is scheduled for a minimum of _______.
a. three weeks
b. three months
c. six weeks
d. six months
3) All the following are true EXCEPT.
a. There are more than a million cases of COVID-19 in California.
b. There are more than 8,000 ICU beds available in California.
c. There are more than 19,000 deaths as a result of COVID-19 in California.
d. The test positivity rate in California is over 6%.
4) California has maintained a very lax attitude toward Covid-19 and has been reluctant to mandate facial coverings or to restrict business activities. (T/F)
5) Hospitals in Southern California will be among the first to receive the Covid-19 once it is approved by the FDA. (T/F)
6) There are over 1 million people currently hospitalized with COVID-19 in California. (T/F)
Enjoy using Lecture Spark? Answer this 5-question survey to help us innovate!
Featured Image Credit: stella_robledo