Conservative Candidate Wins Ecuadorian Presidential Election
Guillermo Lasso, a former banker, recently won the run-off presidential election in Ecuador. Lasso was the conservative candidate and was able to defeat his leftist opponent, Andrés Arauz. Lasso received roughly 52.4% of the vote to Arauz’s 47.6%. This is somewhat surprising since Arauz won the election by double digits in the first round of voting two months ago. Even with the victory, President-elect Lasso has his work cut out for him in terms of unifying the country.
Instructors, click the link below to download this week’s lecture for use in your classroom. The deck contains a writing prompt and a debate question as well as other assessment questions.
Download the PowerPoint Lecture Spark for “Conservative Candidate Wins Ecuadorian Presidential Election"
“Guillermo Lasso: Conservative ex-banker elected Ecuador president”
“Ecuador shuns socialism with Lasso’s surprise election”
“Ecuador Bonds Soar as Millionaire Banker Wins Presidency”
“Conservative former banker Lasso wins Ecuador’s presidential election”
“The will of the Ecuadorian people is under threat”
“Ecuador election: former banker Lasso is surprise winner”
“Millionaire businessman Guillermo Lasso elected Ecuador’s president “
“Ecuador election: Ex-banker Guillermo Lasso wins presidency”
- Writing: Describe some of the challenges confronting Ecuador and incoming President Lasso.
- Debate: The U.S. and the international community should provide more aid and assistance to help create stability within Ecuador.
- Poll: Ecuador should embrace conservative policies.
- Short Answer: What are the pros and cons of compulsory voting?
Current events quiz:
1) Mr. Lasso campaigned on all the following EXCEPT:
a. Creating jobs
b. Reducing unemployment
c. Restricting foreign investment
d. Increasing the minimum wage
2) Guillermo Lasso can best be described as a?
3) Which of the following is a concern of the Lasso administration?
a. Enhancing the nation’s military capabilities
b. Defending the rights of marginalized groups
c. Reducing oil exploration and the extraction of natural resources
d. Prosecuting his opponent for voter fraud and intimidation
4) Andrés Arauz recently won the Ecuadorian presidential election. (T/F)
5) Ecuador has been governed by leftist policies and administrations for over the last decade. (T/F)
6) A significant percentage of Ecuadorian voters either did not vote or they spoiled their ballot. (T/F)
Enjoy using Lecture Spark? Answer this 5-question survey to help us innovate!
Featured Image Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/samuraijuan/32148669062/in/photolist-QYSkgC-QYSkey-QYSkbC-RdCgkD-PWesuG-RB5PfK-QDkEWo-R31rCv-QDkKwA-PWgy67-R3492c-R37KeF-Rad77f-Rabmzh-RadLvu-QDmuwU-QZsC7o-QDmAkh–