On February 22, the Italian ambassador to the Democratic Republic of Congo, Luca Attanasio, was killed. Multiple fatalities and injuries occurred as a result of the attack on the United Nations (UN) convoy Attanasio was traveling with. The UN convoy was on its way to visit a World Food Program school project in the Central African nation.
The attack is believed to be an attempted kidnapping. It occurred in the eastern part of the country which has been subjected to lawlessness and violence.
Instructors, click the link below to download this week’s lecture for use in your classroom. The deck contains a writing prompt and a debate question as well as other assessment questions.
“Italian ambassador to DR Congo killed in UN convoy attack”
“Italian ambassador killed in attack on UN convoy in DR Congo”
“Italian ambassador killed in DR Congo attack, says Italy’s foreign ministry”
“Italian ambassador among 3 killed in attack on Congo convoy”
“Italian Ambassador To DRC Is Killed In Attack On Food Aid Convoy”
“Luca Attanasio: Italian ambassador killed in Congo during kidnap attempt”
“Italian ambassador, two others killed in ambush in North Kivu”
- Writing: Describe why the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo has become so volatile.
- Debate: The U.S. and the international community should provide more resources to the Democratic Republic of Congo in order to achieve lasting peace and stability.
- Poll: The UN should continue to have a troop presence in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Short Answer: What are the ramifications if the Democratic Republic of Congo becomes a failed state?
Current events quiz:
1) All the following are true concerning the Democratic Republic of Congo EXCEPT.
a. The government has a small presence in the eastern part of the country.
b. There are around 100 armed militias in the eastern part of the country.
c. The country has experienced stability and peace over the last six decades.
d. The country has experienced instability and violence over the last six decades.
2) Why is there a high number of militias in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo?
a. It is home to a large port along the Atlantic Ocean.
b. It is rich in natural resources.
c. It is where the capital is located.
d. It is regarded as a holy site for the world’s largest religions.
3) Which of the following is FALSE concerning UN involvement in the Democratic Republic of Congo?
a. The UN has over 20,000 troops currently stained in the country.
b. The UN presence is one of the global organization’s largest peacekeeping missions.
c. A UN convoy was attacked in which several people were injured and killed.
d. The UN has described the situation as one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.
4) Millions have died as a result of fighting in the Democratic Republic of Congo since its independence. (T/F)
5) The Democratic Republic of Congo has yet to experience a democratic peaceful transfer of power since independence. (T/F)
6) The UN has a very small presence in the Democratic Republic of Congo. (T/F)
Enjoy using Lecture Spark? Answer this 5-question survey to help us innovate!
Featured Image Credit: Nathan Hughes Hamilton