Joseph R. Biden was inaugurated the 46th President of the United States on January 20, 2021. Kamala D. Harris was also inaugurated as the first female, Black, and South Asian vice president. The ceremony took place exactly two weeks after a riotous mob stormed the capital.
President Biden enters office amidst a worsening pandemic, a slowing economy, and a polarized political environment. The incoming commander-in-chief, nevertheless promised an ambitious agenda in his first 100 days in office.
Instructors, click the link below to download this week’s lecture for use in your classroom. The deck contains a writing prompt and a debate question as well as other assessment questions.
“Inside Joe Biden’s Agenda for His First 100 Days”
“Biden’s First 100 Days”
“Joe Biden is officially president. Here’s what he wants to do in office.”
“Biden’s 100-day sprint to undo Trump’s 4 years”
“Takeaways from Biden’s COVID-19 executive orders: Experts celebrate plan, warn ‘a lot of work’ is left”
“The Agenda for Biden’s First 100 Days Takes Shape”
“Richmond says Biden will put a ‘down payment’ on big policy goals in first 100 days”
“First 100 days of Biden, Obama, Clinton: Escalating spending to address economic challenge”
- Writing: Describe the relationship between the President and Congress during the Trump administration. How does President Biden hope to achieve his agenda with an adversarial Congress?
- Debate: Should presidents be more constrained in their ability to issue executive actions that bypass Congress?
- Poll: Should outgoing presidents be required to attend the inauguration of their successor?
- Short Answer: What can President Biden do to bring about unity in a polarized political environment?
Current events quiz:
1) President Biden previously served as vice-president for President ___________.
2) The Twentieth Amendment of the Constitution states that the new president will assume office on January 20th at ________.
c. 9:00 am
d. 5:00 pm
3) Who was the last president to not attend his successor’s inauguration before President Trump?
a. George H. W. Bush
b. Gerald Ford
c. Andrew Johnson
b. Andrew Jackson
4) Vice-President Kamala Harris is the first woman to serve in that capacity. (T/F)
5) Harry S. Truman was the first president to use the framework of the first 100 days? (T/F)
6) President Biden is the oldest individual to serve as commander-in-chief. (T/F)
Enjoy using Lecture Spark? Answer this 5-question survey to help us innovate!
Featured Image Credit: https://twitter.com/USCCRgov/status/1352277679320530947/photo/1–