President Trump’s announcement that he and the First Lady had tested positive for COVID-19 shook the political world and upended the presidential campaign. It kicked off a series of events that led to the president’s hospitalization and raised questions about the true state of Mr. Trump’s health. President Trump is the latest head of state to test positive for COVID-19 and perhaps the starkest reminder of the pandemic’s continuous toll on the U.S
Instructors, click the link below to download this week’s lecture for use in your classroom. The deck contains a writing prompt and a debate question as well as other assessment questions.
Download the PowerPoint Lecture Spark for “Confusion Abounds as President Trump Hospitalized for COVID-19"
“White House sows confusion about Trump’s condition as source tells reporters next 48 hours will be critical”
“Chief of staff says next 48 hours ‘critical’ as Trump says he’s doing well”
“Trump, stricken by COVID-19, flown to military hospital”
“Trump transferred to Walter Reed ‘out of an abundance of caution,’ after testing positive for coronavirus”
“Your questions about Trump and COVID-19, answered: Who gave Trump coronavirus? What is the Regeneron antibody ‘cocktail’?”
“President Trump tested positive for coronavirus — here’s everything we know so far”
“Trump experiencing ‘mild symptoms’ after testing positive for Covid-19”
- Writing: Describe the historic relationship between a president and the press. Why has President Trump’s illness exacerbated this already adversarial relationship?
- Debate: The president’s health should be public information.
- Poll: Should President Trump delegate power to Vice President Pence until he is fully recovered from COVID-19?
- Short Answer: What can public officials do to campaign without contributing to the spread of COVID-19?
Current events quiz:
1) Which public event do experts believe may have been most responsible for multiple COVID-19 infections?
a. the White House ceremony to officially nominate Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court
b. the presidential debate between President Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden
c. President Trump’s interview on Fox News
d. the funeral of the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
2) All the following are true EXCEPT.
a. U.S. Men are more likely to die than women from COVID-19.
b. Over 7 million people have gotten COVID-19 in the U.S.
c. Those Americans 65 and over represent a majority of COVID-19 cases.
d. Those Americans 65 and over represent a majority of COVID-19 deaths.
3) What did President Trump’s doctors decide to do ‘out of an abundance of caution?’
a. keep the president quarantined at the White House
b. transport the president to Walter Reed Medical Center for observation
c. keep the president on his regular schedule
d. close the government until President Trump has made a full recovery
4) The lack of information around Trump’s condition has only heightened the president’s already contentious relationship with the press. (T/F)
5) The public first learned of the president’s illness through a statement from the White House Press Secretary. (T/F)
6) In the U.S. women are more likely to get COVID-19 than their male counterparts. (T/F)
Enjoy using Lecture Spark? Answer this 5-question survey to help us innovate!
Featured Image Credit: Gage Skidmore from Peoria, AZ, United States of America