Attacks in Sri Lanka
On April 21, suicide bombers targeted three Christian churches across Sri Lanka and three hotels in the city of Colombo. Additional bombs were set off later in the day in Dematagoda and Dehiwala. At least 250 people were killed and approximately 500 were injured. ISIS took responsibility, claiming “the perpetrators of the attack targeting the citizens of coalition countries and Christians in Sri Lanka were Islamic State fighters.″
Instructors, click the link below to download this week’s lecture for use in your classroom. The deck contains a writing prompt and a debate question as well as other assessment questions.
Download the PowerPoint Lecture Spark for Attacks in Sri Lanka
“Sri Lanka attacks: Who are the victims?”
“Sri Lanka bombings: 15 die in blast during raid on suspected hideout”
“Sri Lanka suspects still at large as ISIS role in bombings takes shape”
“Sri Lanka: 15 dead in gun battle with bombing suspects”
“ISIS suspect gave advance warning of Sri Lanka bombings, source says”
“Death toll in Sri Lanka Easter attacks lowered by more than 100”
“Mystery surrounds the source of the Sri Lanka attacks”
“Opinion: Sri Lanka’s Easter attacks among the worst modern acts of global terror”
“Sri Lanka needs exemplary leadership during this national catastrophe”
“Easter Sunday bombings: Why Sri Lanka?”
“What explains rich–kid terrorists”
- Writing: Why did ISIS target Sri Lanka?
- Debate: Do the attacks in Sri Lanka mark a turning point in the war on terror around the world?
- Poll: Do you believe the attacks in Sri Lanka will result in greater sectarian violence around the world?
- Short Answer: Describe the response of Sri Lankan authorities to the terror attacks.
Current events quiz:
1) At this point, it is believed ______________ is to blame for the attacks.
c. Boko Haram
d. Hawwani Network
2) How many suicide bombers in total committed the attacks?
3) The vast majority of Sri Lankans identify as ___________.
4) The Sri Lankan government admitted to receiving a warning letter about the attacks prior to their explosion. (T/F)
5) A gun battle erupted as Sri Lankan security forces raided a house in search of suspects linked to the attacks. (T/F)
6) The attacks mostly targeted the Jewish community. (T/F)
Enjoy using Lecture Spark? Answer this 5-question survey to help us innovate!