Cyclone Hits Mozambique
Cyclone Idai recently hit southeastern Africa, causing widespread devastation in Mozambique, Zimbabwe, and Malawi. Mozambique was particularly devastated, with hundreds feared dead and hundreds of thousands displaced. The disaster along the coast has reignited concerns about the impact of climate change on poor communities around the world.
Instructors, click the link below to download this week’s lecture for use in your classroom. The deck contains a writing prompt and a debate question as well as other assessment questions.
Download the PowerPoint Lecture Spark for Cyclone Hits Mozambique
“Mozambique city fought climate change, but cyclone roared in”
“Cyclone Idai crisis deepens as first cases of cholera confirmed in Mozambique”
“Dramatic drone footage reveals Cyclone Idai’s devastating power”
“‘Second disaster’: Fears of disease, hunger in Mozambique”
“Cyclone Idai: Scores more deaths reported in Mozambique”
“Mozambique: Rescued cyclone victims fear for those left behind (In Pictures)”
“Mozambique disaster exposes Western double standards”
“OPINION: When the gods test Africa’s mettle”
“Mayor in Mozambique says negligence led to cyclone deaths”
“EDITORIAL COMMENT: Cyclone Idai: Zimbabwe needs help from international community”
“Climate change isn’t 50 or 75 years away”
- Writing: Why was the devastation in Mozambique from Cyclone Idai so great?
- Debate: International efforts to combat climate change should be strengthened, given the damage done by Cyclone Idai.
- Poll: Do you think it is too late for the international community to prevent catastrophes influenced by climate change?
- Short Answer: Why is the danger of cholera and malaria high in Mozambique?
Current events quiz:
1) Cyclone Idai has added to international conversations about ______.
a. climate change
b. humanitarian help
c. world hunger
d. all of these
2) How much money is the United Nations urging the international community to fund for an emergency appeal?
a. $1 billion
b. $1 million
c. $300 million
d. $750 million
3) Which continent was hit by Cyclone Idai?
c. South America
4) More than 5 people are now diagnosed with waterborne disease following the cyclone. (T/F)
5) More than 1.8 million people are in need of urgent help from the UN and other international humanitarian bodies. (T/F)
6) More than 7,000 people have died from Cyclone Idai. (T/F)
Enjoy using Lecture Spark? Answer this 5-question survey to help us innovate!