President Donald Trump gave his 2019 State of the Union Address last week. According to Article II of the Constitution, the President “shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.”
Instructors, click the link below to download this week’s lecture for use in your classroom. The deck contains a writing prompt and a debate question as well as other assessment questions.
“‘She knows’: Nancy Pelosi’s daughter reacts to mother’s viral clap at Trump during SOTU”
“State of the Union 2019: Read the full transcript”
“Everything you need to know about the 2019 State of the Union”
“State of the Union 2019: World leaders react to President Trump’s speech”
“Dem response to the State of the Union”
“Donald Trump kicked off his re-election campaign by making socialism into 2020’s dirty word”
“Most viewers approved of Trump’s second State of the Union address”
“SOTU commentary in tweets”
“Newt Gingrich: Trump’s State of the Union changed history on Tuesday night – Here’s what Pelosi must’ve felt”
- Writing: What are some key events in the history of the State of the Union address?
- Debate: Presidents should discontinue the practice of delivering their State of the Union address in person and, instead, send it to Congress in written form.
- Poll: Did you watch the 2019 State of the Union address?
- Short Answer: Briefly describe the main points of President Trump’s State of the Union address.
Current events quiz:
1) In her rebuttal to Trump’s address, Stacey Abrams spoke of which of the following?
a. gun control
b. the government shutdown
d. all of these
2) Where is the State of the Union Address typically held?
a. Senate Floor
b. House Chamber
c. Oval Office
d. Supreme Court
3) Which current Supreme Court Justice was NOT present at the last two state of the Union Addresses?
a. Justice Scalia
b. Justice Roberts
c. Justice Ginsburg
d. Justice Sotomayor
4) The State of the Union has always been held in the Chamber of the House. (T/F)
5) Last year, Congressman Joseph Kennedy delivered the Democratic rebuttal to the SOTU. (T/F)
6) Every attendee of the SOTU is required to bring at least one additional guest. (T/F)
Enjoy using Lecture Spark? Answer this 5-question survey to help us innovate!