The United States has fixed elections every two years for the entire House and one-third of the Senate, and every four years of the presidency. During this first midterm election of the Trump presidency, Democrats won a majority in the House of Representatives while Republicans retained control of the Senate.
Instructors, click the link below to download this week’s lecture for use in your classroom. The deck contains a writing prompt and a debate question as well as other assessment questions.
“Midterm elections: How the rest of the world saw it”
“U.S. elections: Democrats win House, Republicans hold Senate”
“Threats, bipartisanship, and a CNN spat: Trump reacts to midterms”
“What path lies ahead for the U.S. after the midterms?”
“Trump calls midterm elections ‘tremendous success’”
“Europeans are obsessed with the U.S. midterms”
“Thank you Donald Trump for giving us the year of the woman”
“Russian legislators are in the U.S. to monitor the midterm elections”
“Donald Trump likely to be vindicated by midterm results”
“US mid-terms latest: Five key things we learned”
- Writing: What did you find most fascinating about the 2018 U.S. election results?
- Debate: Split-party control of the U.S. government will not impact U.S. foreign policy.
- Poll: Do you believe split-party control of the U.S. federal government will force the Trump administration to moderate some of its foreign policy?
- Short Answer: How might world financial markets respond to the U.S. midterm election?
Current events quiz:
1) In the state of Colorado, ________ was elected governor, becoming the first _______ governor in the country.
a. Ayanna Pressley; African American female
b. Jared Polis; openly gay male
c. Sharice Davids; Native American female
d. Rashida Tlaib; Muslim female
2) As a result of the election, the ________ have a majority in the House and the ________ have a majority in the Senate.
a. Democrats; Democrats
b. Democrats; Republicans
c. Republicans; Republicans
d. Republicans; Democrats
3)When is the next midterm election in the United States?
4) The number of women elected into office set a record during this election. (T/F)
5) All senators were up for re-election during the midterms. (T/F)
6) Internationally, President Trump is widely praised and respected. (T/F)
Enjoy using Lecture Spark? Answer this 5-question survey to help us innovate!