Elections in Brazil
The early election results in Brazil have resulted in a significant political disruption in South America’s largest nation. Jair Bolsonaro unexpectedly took first place in the presidential election.
Instructors, click the link below to download this week’s lecture for use in your classroom. The deck contains a writing prompt and a debate question as well as other assessment questions.
Download the PowerPoint Lecture Spark for Elections in Brazil
“Brazil elections: Hate crimes reported include a murder and a swastika attack”
“India will buy weapons from Russia and oil from Iran, ignoring U.S. warnings”
“Everything that’s at stake in Brazil’s presidential election”
“Brazil election: Hundreds rally against far-right Bolsonaro”
“Brazil battles fake news ‘tsunami’ amid polarized presidential election”
“Brazil’s presidential election is so crazy that it’s even drawing comparisons to the U.S.”
“The Guardian view on Brazil’s elections: democracy in danger”
“Brazil’s presidential election could savage its science”
“Brazil’s depressing election”
“The new Venezuela? Brazil populist Bolsonaro’s scare tactic gains traction”
“WSJ endorses far-right Brazilian presidential frontrunner who said an ‘ugly’ female colleague didn’t ‘deserve to be raped’”
- Writing: What happened in the recent first round voting in the Brazilian presidential election that has caused so much interest around the world?
- Debate: Brazil’s election results are a reaffirmation that the movement to the populist right is a global phenomena.
- Poll: How many of you were aware of the elections in Brazil before last week’s voting?
- Short Answer: Why might election results in Brazil have regional implications?
Current events quiz:
1) The Runoff Elections in Brazil will take place on ________.
a. October 19
b. November 6
c. October 28
d. The election already took place on October 7
2) What type of government does Brazil have?
a. presidential system
b. federal republic
c. presidential monarchy
d. both a and b
3) The president of Brazil is elected to a ______ year term.
4) Jair Bolsonaro is a far left candidate who is an advocate for the environment and LGBTQ+ rights. (T/F)
5) Jair Bolsonarohas already won the election and he is now the President of Brazil. (T/F)
6) Some compare this election to the 2016 Presidential Election in the States. (T/F)
Enjoy using Lecture Spark? Answer this 5-question survey to help us innovate!